Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best limb/pruning/bow saw?

Harbor freight has battery versions of chainsaws.
I'd look at them but even those might be mechanical devices -
maybe it is gas powered devices.

Pollution and oils are bad for the forest.

Martin

On 8/31/2015 11:37 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Michael wrote in
:

I need to cut some 4-6 inch saplings for a project (shag bark
hickory). After I get the tree down, I need to limb it and clean up
the brush. Because of park regulations, I can't use mechanical devices
(no Stihl). I've used a bow saw in the past but that has been truly,
truly a difficult process. Maybe the bow saw is just dull, I don't
know. I wonder if there is some excellent saw out there that really
hogs out a kerf.

Thanks.

If you think the bow saw blade is dull, it is. Time to either sharpen it
or get a new blade.

The bow saw I've used was a 16"ish long model, and with a decent and
sharp blade just goes right on through limbs. I've also used a pole saw,
and they work as long great as long as you're cutting near the tree. If
you try to take a limb down that's 4-5 feet away from the trunk, it will
tend to grab instead of cut.

No Stihl, but what about a battery powered Sawzall-style saw? Porter
Cable made some pruning blades (I found them at Lowe's) that looked like
they'd work great. I haven't tried them, it's just too much hassle for
me to haul out the extension cord (I've only the tailed model) when the
bow saw and pole saw work.

Puckdropper