Posted to alt.home.repair

Default oil change interval

On Tue, 1 Sep 2015 12:52:22 -0500, Muggles wrote:

On 9/1/2015 11:51 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 22:57:37 -0500, Muggles wrote:

On 8/31/2015 9:41 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 12:18:36 -0500, Muggles wrote:

On 8/29/2015 2:31 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 1:02:19 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 08/29/2015 10:47 AM, Muggles wrote:
I've heard that older vehicles are held together by the old oil and if
you change it the motor thinks the world is coming to an end and won't
start any more.

how old is old? Back before detergent oil you definitely didn't want to
stir the **** up. Back when you adjusted valve clearance, I've pulled
valve covers to find what looked like a thick coating of grease.
suddenly introducing them to detergent oil wasn't a good idea. I think
that's where the paranoia about going from dino to synthetic came from.

Years ago, I had a K car with the 2.2Ltr 4cyl which had some miles on it and some gunk had built up in the engine. I drained the oil and with the valve cover off, I used a parts cleaning brush and diesel fuel to clean the valve train. I then poured a gallon of diesel into the crankcase by pouring it over the valve train washing the rest of the gunk down through the drain holes in the head. After getting the diesel in the crankcase, I took a 1/4" plastic air line and threaded it through the drain holes in the head until it got into the oil pan. The air line was then connected to an air compressor and the air turned on to cause the diesel to splash around in the crankcase to dissolve the gunk. I drained the crankcase and repeated the cleaning. After cleaning and reinstalling the valve cover, I installed a new oil filter then substituted a quart of Rislone for one quart of the new high detergent oil in the crankcase. I ran the car for several hundred miles and the oil was fairly

cl
ea
r when I checked it. The little engine stayed clean and the oil wasn't that dirty when changed at 5,000 miles. I never had a problem with the engine which was still running quietly when I sold the car. ^_^

http://rislone.com/product/engine-treatment/

[8~{} Uncle Oil Monster

I think if my old van had clean oil in it it wouldn't want to start!
If the oil was kept clean it would run a lot longer. (and may not
have corroded the oil cooler)

Well, she's 17 yrs old, so a few worn out parts occasionally aren't a
big surprise, I guess.

Mine is 20 and has 337000km on it - almost showroom condition and
runs and drives like new. Repairs to date virtually nill.

What kind of car is it?

It is an old Ford Ranger standard cab long-box pickup with a matching
fiberglass cap. 4 liter V6, 5 speed, 3.55 posi rear end, originally
came with 14" tires and 10.25" front rotors - converted to 16 inch
wheels and 11 inch rotors. Otherwise stock and original except for
clutch, "U" joints and windshield (and a couple light bulbs). Still
original rear brakes, exhaust, - everything. It came without A/C and I
installed A/C on it a couple years ago. Really glad to have it again
today, with 29C and 36 or 38 Humidex.