Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Securing 2x6 To Cinder Block?

On 9/1/2015 10:51 AM, TimR wrote:
On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 4:51:27 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:
The problem I've found with (galvanized) bolts used like this is the nut
invariably breaks the zinc coating on the threads and, as such, the
nut/threads eventually rust. So, I only use this sort of hardware
outdoors when I don't EVER intend to loosen the nut!

I didn't think of that, that's a good point.

I learned the hard way. : I was "too clever, by half" when I made
the valve manifolds for the irrigation system. Instead of "cheap,
crappy PVC", I opted for galvanized pipe! (This will be more durable!)

Over time, all of the threaded fittings rusted. So, I recently replaced
them with solvent welded PVC.

I wonder if it would be worth wrapping the threads with teflon tape. I know
people who do that, not to prevent a leak but to lubricate the fastener and
allow easy removal later.