Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Realistic Security Chain ?

On Tue, 01 Sep 2015 10:51:35 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Not Fort Knox, just a kayak, stored on the beach in a salt-water
environment.

Windsurfing shop nearby had a bunch of boards stolen couple years back
and the perp used bolt cutters on the cables.

What I am thinking is the smallest gauge chain that will resist
garden-variety, low-end Home Depot/Lowe's bolt cutters.

Is this realistic, or can low-end bolt cutters get through 3/8" chain
(the largest size I would consider). If so, I guess I would fall back
to the smallest chain that a pair of diagonal cutting pliers could not
cut.

Also, there is matching a padlock to the chain..... The padlocks I saw
at Home Depot today probably resist bolt cutters at least as much as
3/8" chain, but did not look all that robust in the context of salt
spray and blowing sand 24-7. Maybe some sort of bag around the lock?

Galvanized, of course....

One idea:

http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-New-York-Fahgettaboudit-U-Loc/dp/B003UWEE5W/ref=pd_sim_sbs_60_3/190-1215504-2448911?ie=UTF8&refRID=1R9NKFBDC1CPT1D7Q720

https://tinyurl.com/nf4unku