Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Supply voltage to overhead 240V mains wiring transformer

In article , NY
wrote:
"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
newshound wrote:
On 01/09/2015 10:55, NY wrote:
As a matter of interest, what's the typical voltage of the three
wires connected to porcelain/glass insulators, mounted on wooden
poles, that feed the transformers (often pole-mounted) that step
down to 240V for overhead wiring to houses? I can't find anything
on Google, using phrases such as "overhead power line 240V" or "low
voltage overhead power line".

I thought they were 11 kV or 33 kV but someone who knows will be along
in a minute!

It certainly used to be 11kV. However, my working time with an
Electricity Board was in 1959.

Given that supply voltages are multiples of 11 (11 kV, 33 kV, 132 kV), I
wonder why OHLE railway electrification standardised on 25 kV rather than
22 kV?

Rail electrical supply is single phase. The distribution supplies are 3
phase.

--
Please note new email address: