Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Supply voltage to overhead 240V mains wiring transformer

On Tue, 01 Sep 2015 12:19:52 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

I thought they were 11 kV or 33 kV but someone who knows will be along
in a minute!

11 kV is the normal distribution voltage to end users from a Primary
substation (pole transformers are classed as "sub-stations").

Diverging off the topic slightly I know of a couple who having decided
on an "Escape to the Country " inspired move avoided looking at some d
properties due to the descriptions mentioning a "Sub-Station" nearby.
It was only later in the search process that they discovered not all
things described as a sub station looked like a large brick and
concrete box with a numerous conductors and insulators like they often
saw from the train to work and the "Sub -Stations" concerned were the
pole transformers for the property and sometimes some others nearby.

G.Harman