Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bench grinders crap?

"Terry Coombs" fired this volley in
:

Have you checked the shaft for runout ? I've had a bi**h of a time
trying
to get my HF 8" to run smoothly . Turns out the shaft is bent just a
bit , like .010" runout . I also turned new flanges , which like you
didn't help .

It's funny, I have a 'big' (8", belt-driven) grinder, too, but I have an
old Dayton 1/4 HP bench grinder.

It's almost exactly 50 years old. My dad bought it in 1965. Except for
replacing the deteriorated cord and the worn-out toggle switch on it, not
ONE thing has ever been done to it, and it still runs accurately in both
planes.

SOME day, I might even have to replace the bearings! G

Lloyd