Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default analog versus digital time

On 8/31/2015 7:16 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
[snip]

"Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives
Willingly" where

s/Violet/Virgins/

That sounds better, although there do seem to be a lot of variations on that
saying.

It's more outrageous. Far easier to remember than "Roy G. Biv", etc.

My "cream my pants" idea would be to *levitate* BOWLING BALLS to
varying heights depending on the current time. Yeah, it's relatively
easy to do this with ping-pong balls, etc. What would make *this*
impressive would be the fact that lifting and suspending 8-10 pound
balls would, itself, be a significant technical challenge!

(anyone have some extra Flubber to spare??)

One clock I have seen had an alarm where when it starts ringing a piece
detaches itself from the top of the clock and runs around the room. You have to
catch it and return it to the clock to stop the loud ringing. It's hard to
ignore that alarm.

BTW, the alarm clock I used in college was NOT next to my bed and had NO snooze
button. These things would make it easier to cheat.

In school, a guy crashed with us for a while. He had this annoying
home-brewed alarm clock -- essentially a traditional (electric)
mechanism but the "buzzer" replaced by a Sonalert (makes a sound
similar to a smoke detector -- piercing whistle). No big deal.
But, he had installed a huge bank of capacitors (Sonalerts draw very
little power, considering the noise they make) so the sonalert
would sound virtually *forever*... EVEN WITH THE POWER CORD UNPLUGGED!

He, of course, wouldn't show us the way to turn OFF the alarm
("It's a secret!").

After a few mornings of burying our heads in pillows while he
chuckled his way across the room to shut off the alarm, the
next morning, I just opened the window and, with the alarm clock
still plugged in, threw it out the window!

Of course, he got to *see* that happening. He thereafter decided
NOT to use his alarm clock!