Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerry[_2_] Gerry[_2_] is offline

Default Bench grinders crap?

On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 9:55:39 AM UTC-5, Gerry wrote:
Are all small bench grinder wheels crap nowadays? Bought two new wheels for my old 6" B&D bench grinder from the local hardware store. When mounted, both wheels are nearly 1/16" out of true both side to side and OD. Figured maybe the flanges were bad so I turned some new one from round stock to match the ID of the wheels. Mounted them and they were still horribly out. My flanges are jam on, it's the center holes in the wheels that are so bad. Bought a new grinder from HF, yea, I know, cheap China crap, and it is just as bad right out of the box.I just want a general purpose grinder/wire wheel set up that will run decently true without shaking the whole bench, not a tool grinder. Problems seem to be the wheels, not the grinders themselves.Suggestions?

Shafts on both grinders are true. Installed just the flanges on the shaft with a spacer between the and they run true. Installed a new Norton 3X wheel and with the flanges I made or the Raptor flanges and it runs true. Replace the Norton with any of the other hardware store wheels and the problems return