Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C Blower works on low speed only

On 8/27/2015 1:55 AM, Don Y wrote:

A *run* capacitor introduces a "delay" (phase shift) in the
second winding causing the rotor to move from one "phase"
to the next (and next and next, etc. thus giving motion).

[Some caps actually serve dual purposes!]

Assuming you've got a ~5,000BTU window unit, I suspect the
cap is (was?) a run capacitor. The fan just isn't that
big of a mechanical load! (unless a single motor is doing
double duty running the compressor *and* the fan!)

Chances are, if the ACbrrr was on/running during the "recent
storm", it is likely that the capacitor was damaged by a voltage
spike.

Most capacitors are relatively inexpensive (i.e., when compared
to the cost of a service call *or* replacement device). You're
probably looking at $10 or less -- with an hour or two of your time.
This is mainly because of the logistics of getting *to* the cap
in the first place!
- removing the ACbrrr from the window

The window or wall units I've serviced, the run
capacitor is typically in the compartment with
the thermostat and selector knob. I've been able
to remove, test, and replace the cap while the
unit is still in the wall, or the window. The
access is from indoors, so often I can work while
sitting on the floor in front of the unit. It's
a good idea to label the wires as you remove
them, or note the colors of the wires. So you
get em back together correctly.

--
..
Christopher A. Young