Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Securing 2x6 To Cinder Block?

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 21:45:49 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 8/30/2015 6:29 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 20:48:25 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Tekkie®:

Shame I can't see the pix...

Try now.

First pic:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497...90642238079874

I think either Picasa has been moving the furniture around or it's been
so long since I started a new album that I forgot... either way, that
album had defaulted to Private access. Hopefully Public now.

I would attach 2x4's or 1x2's to the boards to straddle the blocks.
Bolting or gluing the 2x6's to the blocks makes them hard to move,
since you've more than doubled the weight.

If the 2x6 only needs to be restrained side-to-side, front-to-back,
rotate the blocks so the cavities are on top. Then, put ~5x5 inch
"nubs" on the underside of the 2x6 to fit within the hollows of
the cinder blocks. This will keep the boards from shifting -- but
not prevent them from being lifted off the blocks.

Note that you might wish to use "half blocks", instead. I don't
doubt they would adequately support the kayak's weight as well
as the full blocks -- yet would be half the size/weight (and
still have a single cavity that could be exploited by these "nubs")

Best solution yet.