Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default oil change interval

On 8/30/2015 1:52 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 15:10:29 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 8/29/2015 2:37 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 11:56:57 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 8/29/2015 10:54 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/29/2015 09:17 AM, Oren wrote:
Been doing this since I was a teen. Filling the filter gets oil to
the crank bearings much faster. Good idea on older high mileage
engines. Rubbing oil on the filter O-ring also prevents the
possibility of the rubber binding and perhaps not sealing.

And if you follow the tightening instructions, unlike the teenage Godzilla at
QuickyLube, you might even be able to get the damn thing off without a lot of
drama at the next oil chance.

Note that the criteria for tightening an oil filter are *objective*;
wait for contact/resistance then go 1/4 turn. None of this
"hand tighten" nonsense!

OTOH, a film of oil on the filter makes even *that* difficult!

Bah. I have never used a filter wrench to tighten a filter. Done it

Filter wrench is a Bad Idea. Way too easy for you to overtighten
the filter and end up with big-time problems when it comes time
to remove/replace it!

by hand. Snug it up to the block, a little effort to nudge it tight.
1/4 turn is that's what it took. Red shop rags gave me the grip
needed.

These little (small diameter) filters are a lot harder to wrap
an aging hand around *and* hold tight.

Pay a bit more and buy "hastings" filters - they have a nut on the
end so you use a regular wrench to remove them. You can pay a LOT more
and get the same filter with the K&N name on it.

We buy from dealer (just omit the labor charges). Figure it gives
us a way to (sort of) document that we have been keeping up with
the required maintenance (think: warranty) -- without incurring
their costs or *delays*.

I've only once had a problem getting off a filter that I'd
installed. Normally, just grab it firmly and twist slow
and steady.

[I can change the oil while doing something productive in less
time than I can drive *to* the dealership -- let alone the
wait while there *and8 the drive *back*!]