Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default oil change interval

On 8/30/2015 1:22 PM, wrote:

If you know how much oil the vehicle takes with a filter change you
never need to add oil either. My truck holds 5 US quarts (4.73
Liters, or 1 imperial gallon)) with the standard filter, and 4.5
liters with the shorty filter.

I just pour in the proper amount of oil, and start the engine.

Yes. We buy the oil in 5q containers with the "gauge" on the side
and just pour out what the car will take. But, putting it all in
the engine results in at least a pint "high" -- the oil that would
have to get *pushed* into the filter.

It's relatively easy (and better for the engine) to just fill
the filter from that same premeasured batch.