Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default analog versus digital time

On 8/30/2015 12:35 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/30/2015 11:19 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
The current time is Brown-Red-Brown-Orange-Red-White.

Great idea! 0.02% of the population can read a resistor. I'm really not one of
them anymore except for the popular values.

Most folks looking for "unconventional" clocks aren't looking
for something that is "easily read" or "universally readable".
Rather, they are looking for something "unique" -- a conversation
piece.

To fill that requirement, you have to balance readability against
uniqueness. E.g., the Braille clock I mentioned up-thread qualifies
as definitely unique. However, if someone asks "what *is* this?"
and you tell them "it's a clock", there is no easy way for them to
"learn" how it is displaying the time; Braille digits are kinda
funky (until you learn the pattern).

By contrast, the Orbichron that I posted (pix) earlier is rather
easy for folks to pick up on -- almost *too* easy (where's the
fun in that??)

I suspect the telephone clock will result in folks picking up the
handset more than once to "try it". But, overall, it's not very
interesting. The real appeal lies in the alarm function.

I also have plans for some *unary* clocks built in long glass
tubes (artsy-fartsy). I.e., like big bar-graphs. Again, no real
magic in reading this -- the appeal would be in the artsy nature of
the implementation.

[I'm also looking for some large brass pipes to make a door bell]