Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default connecting wall valve to ballcock

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 30 Aug 2015 08:46:33 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

micky wrote:
The other failure was a braided "heavy duty" hose supplying

Braided with stainless steel? That's scary too.

water to the washing machine. It *ruptured* within hours of
being installed -- in the first or second load of laundry.

The braid is supposed to prevent that.

I had non-braided rupture, and I heard the noise when I woke up in the
morning. I don't know how long it was going. I replaced it with
stainless steel. I've had about 6 or 8 other floods, all for
different reasons. I don't think there are any new reasons left.

I've used those "braided stainless" flex hoses sold for water heaters a couple
times. 3 out of the 4 hoses sprung leaks within a few years. The braided
stainless is all for show, because the interior of the hose is made of junk that
quickly springs leaks.

Dang. And I know you're not an idiot. Maybe water heater hoses are
hot all the time and don't last as long as washing machine hoses?

P.S. I thought about flexible, so I'm glad I made a point to use
copper for my water heater.