Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Garrett Fulton[_2_] Garrett Fulton[_2_] is offline

Default OT, What to do with books? Help

On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 10:56:45 PM UTC-4, Rex wrote:
On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 9:18:39 PM UTC-5, Garrett Fulton wrote:
On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 6:18:45 PM UTC-4, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I have 6 feet by 20 feet of text books (probably about 2-300), double stacked. 50+ years in the engineering profession.
Primary subjects a Structural Engineering, Civil Engineering, Bridge design, Hydraulics, Electronics, and heavy on Mathematics.
My heart will not let me throw them away. Gladly give them for free to anybody that could use them.

What have you all done with your library after your career winds down?
Admittedly, the books are old, and all the information therein could be found on the internet today.

Few years ago I took 7 boxes of computer books and gave them to my local used book store. Found out a few weeks later that all were thrown out (many were only 2-3 years old) because people buy novels only. Won't do that again!

There was an age when all these books were necessary. How could you get by without "King's Hydraulic Tables"? GE's electronic tube characteristics, transistor data books etc. Math books on Boolean Algebra, Mechanical Vibrations and so forth.

Yes, I have not looked at these books for five years except the math books. Don't really NEED any of them, but they were my life. When I pass they will simply be thrown away. Maybe I should do it now.

Any experience with this down-sizing would be appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Got a basement full of training, line maint. component locator, wiring manual/schematics for L-1011 Tristar, B-747, B-727, Lockheed Electra, DC-6A/B, and on and on. Nobody even uses most of these old airliners anymore, but fixing them every day was my life. If I could find any tech. school that could use them, that would be a good cause. But haven't had any luck and just can't bring myself to throw them out. But I never considered ebay. Might work, and go to somebody that wanted them.

I keep reading about people re-purposing old airliners into homes and restaurants. Seems like those people would find those old manuals useful

They're just gutting them, though, not trying to keep them flying.