Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default 415V sticker in household meter box

In article , harry
wrote:
On Saturday, 29 August 2015 14:19:08 UTC+1, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 10:06:26 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 29/08/2015 01:17, wrote:
On Saturday, 29 August 2015 00:13:19 UTC+1, Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
My father has said he has a 415V sticker on the feed into his meter
box. From what he's told me there is the normal arrangement of
master fuse, meter, then into the house to the consumer unit. The
house was built in 1985ish and is detached. I've never seen inside
the meterbox myself, only the consumer unit, which looked like a
normal run of the mill row of circuit breakers with one master at
the end, 100A. If there were three phases in the meterbox I'd
expect his description to include a lot more. Now the previous
owner did have an ironwork hobby with "high powered equipment", but
he was a very frugal sort and I doubt he would have got three
phases installed if he didn't absolutely have to - mind you I
believe he was the first owner of the house and designed it
himself, so maybe it's just as cheap to get three phases when
building the property? The reason this has come up is they've just
had a 10kW electric shower fitted (used to run from the hot water
tank, but that one wa
old and leaky) and are considering replacing their ageing oil
boiler with an electric one, which the electrician fitting the
shower warned would require a relay to switch off the boiler so it
didn't run at the same time as the shower as he'd run out of juice.
When he saw 415V he was wondering if he infact had more phases
available.

clear piccy wanted

NT

Ignore BM, this is the right answer. You could well be right, there
might or might not be 3 phase available. If the current electrician
cannot advise, then you need someone who works on (small) industrial
sites. Sounds like perhaps the 3 phase meter has been taken out and
replaced with a single phase one.

If he (or I but I'm not up there) really wanted to know, it's easy
enough to peek around and use a multimeter. But at the moment it's
just a matter of interest for a possible future electric boiler
installation. I was just wondering if houses ever had more than one
phase installed or if you had to ask for it.

Some houses were supplied with three phases if there was an abnormally
high load or a workshop attached with maybe three phase motors or
welders. In some cases if there were electric storage heaters. But his
was for quite big houses.

But quite unusual. You need to see if there are four wires entering the
premises or two. The cutout will have three fuses if it is a three phase
supply.

that only applies to overhead wiring. Here there is multicore cable coming
out of the ground and terminating in a cutout.

--
Please note new email address: