Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john B. john B. is offline

Default Kill Files

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 10:37:13 -0400, Neon John wrote:

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 08:44:44 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Thanks for the address. I like the versatility of Claws-Mail (If I can
only get it working :-)

And, as you say, I pretty much use a filter which deletes messages
from "X, Y and Z" and then spamassassin has a shot at what is left.
Sort of blunt instrument effect but does do a good job of getting rid
of the "Mrs. Jones would like to meet you" and "I am your very own
banker and you have just inherited $100,000,000 please send your bank
account specifics..." messages. :-)

Might I suggest Astraweb as your newsfeed and Forte' Agent as your
newsreader?

Astraweb isn't free but it's so close that it doesn't matter. You can
either pay by the month or you can buy a chunk of bytes. In my case,
the smallest amount, $10 for 20gb. In return you get excellent
service, long retention and almost perfect spam filtering. About the
only spam that gets through is that idiot peddling solution books.

I occasionally partake in a few binaries groups. Even so, I've had to
refill only once in the 10 years I've been with them.

On the reader side, I've used just about everything out there, both
for windoze and Linux. Agent is simply the best. It's a windoze
program but they make sure it continues to run under WINE for us Linux
types.

It's kill-file feature is probably its best. It employs a basic
proprietary system for making simple filters and conventional regular
expressions for more complex filters. The only thing missing is being
able to filter on content. I hope that comes on the next upgrade.

Again, not free but not expensive either. This is about the only
program I use that isn't open-source. It's good enough to make the
exception. In return I get nearly instantaneous responses to support
questions. Opening a support ticket built-in, under "help".

And the program is mature enough that it never crashes or misbehaves -
about the only software on my machine that I can say that about,
including Linux itself.

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.fluxeon.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

providers, I've used both eternal-september and albasani and never
had any problem with them, and I've used Forte-Agent since version
1.something. The one thing, as you say, I find missing with Agent
filtering is the inability to filter on words contained in the message
body which is useful if you have filtered, say "joe-dokes" and no
longer see his posts, but you do still see any responses that are made
to his posts.

Hardly essential but it would be a nice addition.
--
cheers,

John B.