Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default 415V sticker in household meter box

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
You still havn't answered the question, do you think I have three
phases
coming into the master fuse block?

If you hacksaw into it, you might be able to see how many conductors
there are.

Report back when you've counted them.

I think I asked a perfectly reasonable question. Adam seemed to be
asserting that the cabling was there to the board, which surprised me a
little.

I think you asked a very sensible question and clearly set out that it was
theoretical because you aren't actually at your father's house to look at
the installation and answer further questions - so you wanted to be armed
with the things to look out for when you next see him. In the meantime you
were asking a theoretical "how is it normally done" question, with the
proviso that there are bound to be exceptions to any rule.

I'm shocked at the amount of flak that you've had from some people who
have nothing to contribute except to strengthen my opinion that they exist
on the newsgroup just to be prize ****s and to indulge in private
vendettas. Mentioning no names...

Is three-phase (or at least two-phase or split-phase) wiring common in
domestic UK environments? I've only ever seen it in the US where their
normal wall-socket voltage is so puny that heavy-duty appliances like
tumble driers, electric fires and even electric kettles (for those people
who use a kettle to make coffee or tea) are fed from phase-to-phase rather
than the normal phase-to-neutral, to avoid needing heavier-duty wiring to
supply the large amount of power from 120V.

Its very common in Australia which has the same 240V system Britain has.

Very common for those into the heavy end of DIY to have a
3 phase service for the bigger motors and welders etc and 2
phase is universal with the storage electrical heaters/heatbanks.

Does cost a little more for a 3 phase service but not a great deal more.