Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister[_2_] S Viemeister[_2_] is offline

Default Sewing machine for DIY ?

On 8/29/2015 4:30 PM, jkn wrote:

Old, basic sewing machines are best. You don't need all the fancy stitches that
modern machines have. Straight and zig-zag pretty much cover it.

A 'sleeve arm', I think they are called, is useful - the lower part is thin
enough to slip sleeves etc. over. Good for working in tight places...

Yes, this is very handy, but really old Singers tend not to have it.

I have an old Husqvarna 'Viking' which is almost of industrial quality. It has
a 'tri-stitch' whis is also handy. I have used this for sewing webbing,
leather, etc., as well as making kites and 'real' clothes.

My Viking (20-25 years old) has been able to handle anything I've tried
on it - many layers of leather, canvas, webbing, heavy upholstery
fabrics, binding quilts - with no strain whatsoever.

Pfaff and Bernina of similar vintage are also good makes. As you will see,
many will recommend you get an old treadle Singer or similar. I haven't used
anything like this recently to compare.

Pfaff are solid, but IME needlessly complicated.