Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default oil change interval

On 8/29/2015 10:52 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/28/2015 09:42 PM, Don Y wrote:
If you fill the filter with oil before screwing it on, you won't have to
add,
later. I've found that you can get a *lot* of oil into a DRY filter --
even
if the filter is mounted "opening down" (e.g., like on Subaru's).

I skipped that step in my description, thanks. The Yaris and F150 both have
filters that mount right side up. Then there are innie and outie filters. I
prefer Swix or Napa Gold because when they punch the base plate and thread it
the threads are on the inside of the filter they are easier to get started.
Hard to explain without a picture.

Two of the bikes have the filters mounted sideways. The other bike is old
school and has a replaceable element, not a cartridge.

I add all the other ancillary "checks" at the same time:

I sort of mentally included them in the dead skunk check. After all, while
you're waiting for the oil to drain, you might as well inventory the engine
compartment, make sure nobody stole the alternator, etc.

Yup. One reason I dislike the oil change places is they barely give
the oil time to leave the pan before they've got the drain plug
back installed and are squirting oil from a multi-choice nozzle
into the vehicle (how much of the oil selected by the *previous*
customer is present in that hose??)

I've got the feeling 95% of today's drivers have never actually laid their eyes
on the engine of their vehicle. Only factory trained experts are allowed to pop
the hood latch.

While looking at cars, recently, I'd routinely pop the hood to
check to see what sort of maintenance hassles I would likely
encounter. If I couldn't *find* something (e.g., the first vehicle
I looked at had electric power steering -- "Where's the power
steering reservoir?"), I'd ask the salesman.

Talk about dumb-as-a-post... none of them knew the least bit
about what's under the hood. They were more interested in
how many *seats* it had or how fancy the sound system, etc.

[You'd think these guys would express an interest in the
PRODUCT they are selling! Esp as they probably spend a large
fraction of their day sitting around waiting for customers!]