Posted to alt.home.repair

Default oil change interval for diesel rigs

On 8/28/2015 10:02 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/28/2015 07:24 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd guess with the big rigs, that oil changes are
expensive, my friend said some thing like 5 or 6 gal
of Shell Rotella or other diesel oil per oil change.
Even if you do it at your own shop, that adds up.

The Detroit 60 takes ten gallons of oil and three filters, counting the
fuel filter. I started using Rotella T6 in one of the bikes and will
swithc the others over on their next change. If you watch sales
sometimes you can get a gallon for close to $20. The non-synthetic
Rotella isn't that much cheaper. Even if you buy a 55 gallon drum it's
over $10 a gallon.

Assuming a truck puts on 120,000 miles a year you can see why a 20,000
mile interval is preferred to the traditional 12,000. The savings will
be enough to buy a couple of tires and a taco.

Thanks, I didn't know there was so much money involved
in the oil change. Gives me a different perspective
on long haul driving. Lot of hidden expenses.

Of course, most business are like that. Plenty of hidden
expenses.

--
..
Christopher A. Young