Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default difference between a single port vs all port splitter

"micky" wrote in message

3db is about 2x as strong? Yes, Wikip says power ratio is about 2,
amplitude ratio is about the square root of 2. I asked Solid Signal
if splitting the signal to go to the VCR and DVDR would cut the strength
in half and he said, No, only 3db. Then he wanted to know where I
live so he could give me distance and heading to the stations, and then
recommend a second antenna. He didn't pronounce attenuator right,
either. Oh, well.

Yes, 3 db is 2x larger or smaller depending on the direction of change. It
is a log scale so 3 db =2x, 6 db =4x and 10 db=10x.

That is rounding off a tenth or two.

Unless the signals are right on the border point, 3 db or even 6 db won't
make much difference. Especially for the digital signals as they are mostly
good or bad and not fuzzy like the older analog TV signals.