Posted to alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default How are we supposed to read 5GHz WiFi signal strength bands?

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 13:26:40 -0500, Sam E
wrote:

Don't name your WiFi network "monkey".

The SSID can be 1 to 32 characters. One of my customers set his SSID
to "*". I forgot exactly what it broke, but I do recall spending a
week failing to fix what I thought were unrelated problem. When I
changed the SSID to something reasonable, all the weirdness went away.
This was quite a while ago so presumably it's now fixed.

Another fun SSID is "ANY". I don't recall what it was suppose to do,
but it was thrown into some long forgotten manufacturers firmware to
allow any device to connect, probably for repeaters and range
extenders. Try it and see what breaks.

Also try "Free Public WiFi" which is really a Microsoft XP bug.
http://www.npr.org/2010/10/09/130451369/the-zombie-network-beware-free-public-wifi

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D