Posted to alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Sam E Sam E is offline

Default How are we supposed to read 5GHz WiFi signal strength bands?

On 08/27/2015 12:29 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 17:31:20 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Fancy SSID has no impact on security.

Wrong. The SSID is used as a "salt" to do WPA/WPA2 encryption. The
rainbow tables are only useful if the SSID of the system that you're
attacking is the same as one of the SSID's in the rainbow table. Using
a common SSID listed on Wigle improves the probability of a successful
attack. I use my address.

http://www.renderlab.net/projects/WPA-tables/
https://wigle.net/stats#ssidstats

Don't name your WiFi network "monkey".

--
"I am attempting to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone
knives and bearskins."