Posted to alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default How are we supposed to read 5GHz WiFi signal strength bands?

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 11:20:05 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 17:31:20 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Fancy SSID has no impact on security.

Wrong. The SSID is used as a "salt" to do WPA/WPA2 encryption. The
rainbow tables are only useful if the SSID of the system that you're
attacking is the same as one of the SSID's in the rainbow table. Using
a common SSID listed on Wigle improves the probability of a successful
attack. I use my address.

http://www.renderlab.net/projects/WPA-tables/
https://wigle.net/stats#ssidstats

Regardless, it is crackable if one intends to.
I don't even bother hiding my SSID. Nothing
important in my home network. My lawyer, bank,
accountant keeping important stuffs.

This is one reason why I hate security discussions. If you really
think there's nothing important on your home computah, then I suggest
you test this. Install a program that does a recursive text search on
all your files. For Windoze, I use Agent Ransack:
https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack
Plug in your social security number, checking account numbers, and
credit card numbers, and see what it finds. The idea is to obtain
enough info to perform an identity theft. I was rather surprised to
find both on my machine. While WPA2 cracking is usually just to gain
access to a faster or more convenient internet connection, it's not
beneath the dignity of most casual hackers to make some money on the
side.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D