Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Ameri-Clean@sbcglobal.net is offline

Default A/C Blower works on low speed only

On Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 12:39:07 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
On 8/25/2015 6:15 PM, Ameri-Cleanatsbcglobal wrote:
My daughter has a through-the-wall air conditioner where the blower runs
only on low speed. It cools well and the blower turns freely but it won't
speed up when the control is put on medium or high speed.

So, the blower motor *will* start when the speed is set to "low"?

A friend suggested
the capacitor needs replacing. Is that the likely problem or is there
another possibility? The unit is about 6 years old and appears clean inside.
NOt sure if this is relevant but my daughter says the problem started after
a big storm recently. The model is ajcq10dcdw2. Thanks.

If it is easy to get at AND you are careful (by nature), you can
try to see if you can manually get the fan to spin *backwards*
(though if it does so, it will be very weak).

If the fan seems "strong" (i.e., resists attempts to keep it stalled)
even though slow, don't bother checking.

[It's a small enough fan that this is less likely to be conclusive]

Yes, the fan turns when started but the output is low on all settings. I assume that if the fan is weak the motor is probably shot. If strong it is likely the capacitor. Is that what you are implying?