Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default 14.5 hp OHV Won't Turn Over Unless Plug Removed - Electric Start

J Burns wrote:
On 8/24/15 3:54 AM, gregz wrote:
Lost my unit after it failed shutoff and gas entered oil. Ran for a bit
after I changed oil.

Greg

Did gas seep past the manual shutoff?

Guess so. I also have a generator that tends to stick open.

Greg

More than ten years ago, a neighbor asked me to start his chipper. I
pulled the spark plug, maybe because of hydrostatic lock. Before long, I
discovered that the oil level was way too high and it didn't smell or feel right.

I guess that was a single incident, where he stored it without shutting
off the fuel. If fuel had repeatedly leaked past the shutoff and not
been noticed, I guess the engine would have been damaged.

I love ball valves. (Is that what they're called?) You can see if
they're off, and I don't remember a leaky one.