Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default 14.5 hp OHV Won't Turn Over Unless Plug Removed - Electric Start

On 8/24/15 10:31 AM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
J Burns wrote:
On 8/24/15 3:54 AM, gregz wrote:
Lost my unit after it failed shutoff and gas entered oil. Ran for a bit
after I changed oil.

Greg

Did gas seep past the manual shutoff?

More than ten years ago, a neighbor asked me to start his chipper. I pulled the
spark plug, maybe because of hydrostatic lock. Before long, I discovered that
the oil level was way too high and it didn't smell or feel right.

I guess that was a single incident, where he stored it without shutting off the
fuel. If fuel had repeatedly leaked past the shutoff and not been noticed, I
guess the engine would have been damaged.

I love ball valves. (Is that what they're called?) You can see if they're off,
and I don't remember a leaky one.

This is what I use. Would you call that a "ball valve"?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...XL._SY300_.jpg

It looks like the one I installed. I'm absent-minded. I want to know at
a glance!