Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 03:06:28 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 8/22/2015 11:32 PM, Robert Green wrote:

While I don't think it will ever happen, I agree with Trump's desire to
repeal the automatic citizenship granted to any child born in the country.
That was meant to protect newly freed slaves, not serve as a magnet for
Mexican, Chinese and many other nationals to have their kids on US soil with
all the rights that go with citizenship.

That's a tough one.

My grandparents were in this country legally. Yet, none of their
kids were born *before* they got their citizenship papers. How
would you handle my mom and her siblings? Tell them they have to
apply for citizenship when they are in HIGH SCHOOL (or later)?
What status do they have in the time between birth and their
parents' citizenship? Between that time and the time *they*
apply for citizenship? "Guest worker"? "Guest child"?

Or, is it automatically "OK" if you come from European stock?
Only a hurdle if you cross the *southern* border?? :-/

One of the hospitals, here, complains about all the costs of
care that they have to bear for "illegals" -- esp those brought
to the hospital by Border Patrol (found in the desert, dehydrated;
apprehended in a high speed car chase/crash; etc.).

[Border Patrol doesn't *arrest* them until after they have been
"treated" so, technically, Uncle Sam isn't financially responsible
for the cost of their care at that point!]

OTOH, the same hospital ADVERTISES to up-scale Mexicans (i.e.,
native Mexicans *in* Mexico) that they should come "visit",
have their kid in this hospital (bestowing on it US citizenship)
and then spend a couple of days *shopping* before heading back
across the border. These are sold as "package deals"!

(WTF???)

A *practical* solution is to deport the parents of these kids
and let them decide if they want to remain in this country
without their families -- or, join their folks in Mexico,
voluntarily (yet still being US citizens).

[How would it be any different for these kids to "harbor"
their parents -- here illegally -- than it would be for
someone to drive a *busload* of them into the country?]

At least the "where were you born" criteria makes it a
simple test. No additional complications about whether
or not your parents were entitled to be here at the
time of your birth.

[Of course, Trump wouldn't believe any of *their* birth
certificates, either! : Always convenient when you can be
selective about what you want to consider as FACT and what you
DON'T!]

I think it's a waste of time to try and explore the "if when my
parents had me that law had been such and such" hypothetical's. Your
parents either did what they did because it was what they wanted or
because of whatever the law was at the time they were trying to either
take advantage of it or get around it. Just like the illegal's are
doing now, i.e. some are on the up and up and some are scum bags
dropping anchor babies. Regardless of what used to be and how it did
or didn't affect your past we ought to get rid of Birthright
Citizenship. It simply no longer makes sense and ENCOURGAGES aliens
to come here illegally. Can you give a single reason why THIS country
and/or YOU are better off because we allow Birthright citizenship?