Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default LED Light Bulbs now cheaper than Incandescent

On 8/22/2015 10:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/23/2015 1:05 AM, Don Y wrote:

We found table and floor lamps make viewing the TV difficult -- the
"hot spot" of the lamp is at roughly (seated) eye level -- so, you
see it (and yourself!) reflected in the TV screen when seated, viewing.

Perhaps with a plasma or /CRT, but with a shaded light I see no reflection on
an LED/LCD screen. It is a large room and a 40w LED it is good for tv viewing.

What color is your shade? We see lights reflected in any glass surface
(TV, all the artwork hanging in the room, etc.). I'm looking up at the
painting hanging above and to the right of my monitor and can see into
the adjoining room *behind* me.

When we watch TV, we dim the overhead lamps down like a theater
(not "black" but, rather, dim enough that you can still see
what's in front of you as you walk around the room, talk to
others present, etc.

Specialty bulbs will be harder to replace.

The "bedside lamps" are 3-ways. So, we'd need 3-way bulbs to
take advantage of the low and high brightness capabilities
(or, add a dimmer -- and require a dimmable bulb!).

/we used to have 3 ways but replaced them. New lamps take two bulbs and each
has a pull chain. One bulb is a 50w equiv, the other a 25w equiv. Amazingly,
we rarely use more than the 25. That is what I have on now. We have power
beds so I'm comfortable with the netbook on my belly, some blues music on the
Fire TV. Buddy Guy, Joe Bonamassa, Son House. All from Amazon Prime.

Single bulb fixtures, here (with the exception of the bathrooms;
but those are single *switch* fixtures, regardless). The office has
a couple of up-lights with CFL floods (because I spend the most time
in that room).

I was sick for a while a couple years back. I ran a CAT5 cable
into the bed and used a tablet PC for the duration (I have a couple
of wireless access points but rarely use wireless, prefering the
reliability of the wired connection, instead)

Our current bathroom fixtures use unfrosted globes. Sort of like
the things a movie star has on their makeup mirror? We will have
to replace the fixtures to use something in which non-incandescents
could be "functional" (instead of also having to be "decorative")

I've not seen anything like that yet.

Even if the same shape becomes available, the appeal of the fixture
lies in having the internal structures of the bulbs visible -- frosted
lamps would look tacky.