Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default LED Light Bulbs now cheaper than Incandescent

On 8/22/2015 10:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/23/2015 1:12 AM, Don Y wrote:

I've got a carton of LED floodlights (spotlights?) that I'd like
to try installing in the garage (in recessed cans). But, the ceiling is
so high that I think I would have to space them too close together to
get uniform light coverage. Or, replace them with greater output
bulbs (which means the ones I have are useless, in either case!)

The garage lights go on and off a dozen times or more, EVERY day
(in and out of the car -- even if the car never leaves the garage,
access to the freezer out in the garage, access to my files, spare
parts, cables, etc.). So, tubular flourescents (currently in place)
tend to fail quickly. CFL's would suffer from slow starting and
intolerance of the temperature extremes. Incandescents are costly
(energy) to light such a large space *well* (many people seem content
to have dark garages; I want to be able to *work* in mine!).

So, LED seems the logical choice.

Are the present lights hard wired or plug into a ceiling mounted receptacle?
If plug in. it would be easy to get the adapters to try a couple. If they are
anything like my outdoor floods you will get plenty of light from them

I've tried just holding them up near the ceiling to get an idea as to how
much usable light they throw. The beams are too narrow (in cans) and
the floor too far away. I'd have to dot the ceiling with lots of
cans to cover the length and width.

The (current) tubular fluorescents throw light in essentially all
directions. So, more "general" coverage (light reflecting off walls,
ceiling, etc.)

I'd thought of "tubular LED" replacements but that just strikes me as
so much a kludge...