Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

On 8/22/2015 8:49 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

And have any Los Angeles residents noticed how few lights there are on the
overhead freeway signs no? I suspect that it just costs too much to replace
them. I can read the signs at a reasonable distance if I have my lights on
high, but that seems really rude -- in spite of the fact that perhaps 1/4 of
the drivers don't understand that their high beams are to be used only
OCCASIONALLY.

And what about those banks of bright lights they use when working on the
freeways at night? They ALWAYS point them directly into oncoming traffic.
It's like they WANT to cause crashes.

We have ordinances to avoid unnecessary "light pollution" (lots of astronomy
done here). So, street lights are scarce, signs aren't gratuitously
illuminated, etc. Even the lights for our back yard (bright as day, if
we so choose) don't extend beyond the property line, aren't visible in
neighbors' homes, etc.

When we're outside after nightfall, the sky is *deep* black -- punctuated
with countless stars. It makes meteor showers spectacular events!