Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

On 8/22/2015 7:32 AM, Mayayana wrote:

While we're at it, I'm curious how many accidents are
caused by ridiculous flashing light overkill on emergency
vehicles. Police and firefighters just can't seem to resist
the childish thrill of adding yet another light. Police cars
used to have a blue "bubble gum machine" on top. It
worked fine. Now they have dozens of flashing lights in
every color. The problem: It's impossible to tell where an
emergency vehicle is going. Even if they use turn signals,
there's no time to figure out which lights on this high-speed,
psychedelic Christmas tree are signalling.

I've always been taught to pull over and get out of the way.
So, I really don't *care* which way the vehicle is headed
until he's long past my location! :

Apparently, the lights are necessary because so many drivers
"zone out" (ear buds, chatting on phone, etc.) and cars are
much quieter (here, the windows tend to be *up* all year
round for air conditioning).

Also, I think emergency vehicles are less prone to using
*audible* alarms than they were in the past. Often, the
only way I have of knowing that an emergency vehicle is
"nearby" is to watch the strobe light atop each traffic
light (intersection): if it's flashing, then it "sees"
an emergency vehicle on one of the connecting streets.
At that point, I start examining my mirrors, looking down
side streets, etc.: "When will I have to get out of the way?"