Posted to alt.home.repair
Meanie[_4_] Meanie[_4_] is offline

Default LED Light Bulbs now cheaper than Incandescent

On 8/22/2015 4:29 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 8/22/2015 1:20 PM, wrote:
I was almost shocked yesterday when I went to Walmart to buy some of
those new halogen-incandescent light bulbs, to put in my outdoor porch
light fixture. (CFL bulbs dont work outdoors in cold weather).

A pack of halogen incan... bulbs was around $6.
A TWO pack of 60W (equivalant) 8.5W actual, was $4.60.
(Great Value brand)

A year ago, ONE LED bulb cost $15 to $20 or more.....

Needless to say, I bought the LEDs.

Now I can afford to begin replacing all the CFL bulbs in my home with
LED bulbs.

I bought some two-packs of Philips 60W for $4.99 many months back.
But, have only installed them in a few locations (e.g., garage door
opener) as most of the lights, here, are dimmable floods (the
dimmable LED's still aren't quite as nice as the incandescents).

We're waiting to see how *reliable* they'll prove to be. A ~$2 bulb
that doesn't last long is still an expensive bulb! OTOH, the CFL's
were essentially "free" so even poor quality would make them affordable
(if you ignore the impact on the environment)

Dimmable LEDs are still in the works for full range effect. Most DIM
LEDs reduce to 10% while a few will reach 5%. They are improving but
just as with everything else, it'll take time.

LED bulbs are reaching the capacity of the higher wattage such as 100+.
The lower wattage LEDs are dropping drastically due to the production of
higher wattage bulbs and higher K values. Those who like the daylight
type bulbs will want the 4000k to 6000k range.