Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Does my UPS work?

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 21 Aug 2015 13:00:07 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 8/21/2015 12:53 PM, micky wrote:
In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, on Fri, 21 Aug 2015 07:44:17
-0600, rbowman wrote:

On 08/21/2015 07:09 AM, micky wrote:
Batteries are not cheap of course. A couple webpages gave me the
impression that some people just buy a new UPS instead of replacing the
battery. That's not a sound plan financially, is it???? Surely a UPS
should outlive several batteries, unless there's a lightning strike.

Sometimes the switchover or charging circuitry fails. The last time I
replaced my home UPS the battery was good but it wouldn't switch over.
We have a lot of UPS's at work and the failure rate is fairly high. That
goes for APC or no-name units.

The second question is, I've read the instructions but still not sure if
the second one works. The instructions are short and don't address my
issue

Plug a radio into one of the protect outlets. Pull the plug on the UPS.
Is the radio still functioning? The 60w bulb is also a good idea since
that will allow you to see how long the battery will maintain the
output. One failure mode I've seen several times is on switchover the
UPS will effectively short the output crashing the computer while one
just plugged into the wall survives the very brief flicker fine.

Hmmm. I've actually got a third one for my DVDR, and its battery is old
and I've seen the power dip and if it's recording, it stops recording
but stays on, and then starts recording again asap. I recorded 30
minutes of news and it ended up in 7 pieces!! OTOH, if it's not
recording, it turns off and stays off.

**How could I have 7 power failures in 30 minutes. Well, I've got a
"portable" air conditioner, and it's plugged into the same receptacle
that the DVDR is. And every time it goes on, I hear a short beep. I
thought it was the AC but finally realized it was the UPS. Still when
I wasn't using the AC, and storms caused the power outage, it got
through some that of those actual outages, not just dips, and lasting 2
or 3 seconds, without losing its list of programs to record.

But last night I had the feeling that if the UPS were not there, the
dips in voltage would not have caused the recording mode to turn off.

Many UPS's have a "sensitivity" setting. This allows them to
react faster -- or slower -- to line disturbances.

Thanks.

For the record, it was a bad idea to trim off the other newsgroups. I
started this thread in XP and included this group because I thought
you'd be interested. It's only by chance I noticed the thread is longer
here, and if it hadn't been a lot longer, I would have missed all the
replies that followed a post that had ng snipped.

So I just got back from buying a new battery. for this little one, and
another for the one I paid $7 for and was marked Working. It was a few
dollars more than mailorder, but I wanted the small one today, and I was
able to compare the dimensions of the new one with the old one adn they
matched. Some of the ones on the web had one dimension larger and
anoher smaller. I guess the dimensions on the web were wrong, but I
didn't want to buy mail order and find out that it didnt fit.