Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default Roof "dry rot"?

On 8/21/15 3:01 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 8/19/2015 8:00 PM, J Burns wrote:

Where I find rot or see that it might start, I use a garden sprayer to
apply a
mix of sodium borate, glycol, and water. Currently, Bora-Care and
Shell-Guard
are two such products, if you don't want to cook it in your kitchen.

So, I guess the first step is to get rid of the current damage
(and figure out its cause); then, watch to see if it wants to return
(perhaps there is some aspect of the roof in this area that leads to
more frequent "failure")

If the current damage is tolerable, you can keep it from progressing
with a borate spray. The glycol helps it penetrate wood deeply. It
will kill fungus and bugs and keep them from reappearing, as if you'd
built with pressure-treated wood.