Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Does my UPS work?

On 8/21/2015 10:38 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, August 21, 2015 at 10:17:40 AM UTC-4, wrote:
With the UPS NOT plugged into the wall

Plug in a load such as a small lamp into the UPS.

Press AND HOLD the on button for about 5 seconds

That should turn it on.

Mark

Unless you're doing business or other critical work, it's not
clear to me that you even need a UPS. I've never had one and
despite numerous power outages, never lost anything, had any
issue with the disk getting corrupted, etc. Typical apps like
word, excel, etc also do an autosave every 5 mins or so, and
that's saved and there too.

I've got them on my three desktop computers.

Surge protectors were not enough when power failed stopping computer in
its tracks and losing hard drive sectors. This was years ago and maybe
computers react better but why take chances. I buy cheap units as I
only want enough power to safely power down computers. In maybe 20
years, I've only had to replace one UPS.