Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

On 8/21/2015 12:12 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

If the injured party can just jot down your license plate as you
drive off (as he could do if you had no insurance) and let the
authorities track you down (now it's "hit and run" -- a crime),
are you really going to risk the hassle that comes with that?
Just so you can jabber on the phone??

No idea. I'm a responsible person. If Ihad nothing to lose I don't know how
I'd act.

That's the unintended consequence of many laws -- you make the
stakes too high and folks figure the (undesireable) alternatives
look attractive!

Of course, the downside of that is a (true) Mexican will have
no qualms about driving the 60 minutes south to the border *if*
he gets in a wreck, here. Possibly leaving you in a pool of blood
by the side of the road!

And will have no problem getting back into Mexico.

And if *really* Mexicans, they've got someplace to *go* once across!
(home, relative, etc.)

I just read that Foreigners
entering Tijuana will have to show a passport and fill out a form. Minor
nuisance -- we've been doing day trips for dental work for several months and
need a few more trips when it gets cooler. We once had a 1.5-hour wait to
cross back into the US, but Wednesday or Thursday after 2:00 pm has no line at
all.

You can't "fix" folks who WILL break the law. I sure dislike
having to stop at stop signs in this neighborhood at 2AM when
NO ONE is on the road! But, I do -- because the law says I am
supposed to, regardless of the number of other cars that happen to
be visible.

I would stop if I figured that it was a good place for a hidden cop to be
lurking. I wouldn't blow on through like I would on a bicycle, but I'd make a
California (or Texas, I understand) rolling stop.

I figure its easier just to obey the letter of the law.

We have many "photo enforcement" zones in town -- red light
runners, speeding, etc. *They* don't have (significant) wiggle
room in how their algorithms work. Perhaps if you appear in court
you can *hope* the judge will let you out of the $500 fine;
perhaps not.

In my example, as it's *my* neighborhood, I'd be EXTRA careful -- the
folks (kids, etc.) that I am likely to hurt in that "violation" are
likely to be people that I *know*! :-/