Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design,rec.autos.tech
rickman rickman is offline

Default The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

On 8/19/2015 11:10 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 08/19/2015 07:33 PM, rickman wrote:
On 8/16/2015 2:03 PM, ceg wrote:

Hence the paradox.
Where are the accidents?

How many accidents does it take? Some years back there was a rather
horrific head-on accident on Rt 28, south of Manassas, VA. I think
everyone involved died and they found the solo driver of one vehicle was
talking on his cell phone when it happened. It resulted in that stretch
of road having a cell phone ban which surprised the drivers who were
subsequently charged. This was largely because the four occupants of
the van that was hit by the solo driver were all local politicians.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect the person the driver was talking
to knew he was in the accident when the call was cut short. The
investigators would have been able to tell who crossed the line by the
skid marks on the road.

Why would the offender have left skid marks? Was there evidence that
the offender even tried to stop?

I didn't say the "offender" left skid marks.

I expect this is not a unique situation. As
you point out, not all accidents would be identifiable as "caused" by
cell phone usage, so I expect the number is actually underestimated.

The fact that accidents overall are going down is irrelevant.

--

Rick