Posted to alt.home.repair
Arnie Goetchius[_2_] Arnie Goetchius[_2_] is offline

Default 14.5 hp OHV Won't Turn Over Unless Plug Removed - Electric Start

J Burns wrote:
On 8/20/15 6:04 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 15:26:27 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Never heard of this switch but it is good info you posted. Thanks much.

The pilot jet is unlikely to be your problem. You have a leaky needle
and seat - guaranteed.

I agreed with you. Regardless of the solenoid, a carburetor wouldn't flood if
the float valve worked right. (I've never trusted float valves on parked engines
with gravity feed.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQLvAFQC5L8

Carlsbad Small Engine says we're wrong. Somehow, a properly working float valve
will flood an engine if the shutoff solenoid doesn't seal.

The mechanic didn't say this is true of all riding mowers with fuel shutoff
solenoids.

J Burns wrote:

Great video. Many thanks for providing the link. My $6 manual shutoff valve from
Advanced Auto and 15 minutes of work has solved the problem without having to
clean or replace the shutoff solenoid.