Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Eyeglass Frames Re-Soldering Question ?

On 8/19/2015 11:49 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Have a pair of eyeglasses that split in the nose (Bridge area).

They are made from one of those "super bendable" alloys like
possibly Beryllium Copper, or Titanium, or...?

Really don't know what it is made of. These are just a guess.

I think I can re-solder them, but want to use the solder type
that offers the best possibility of holding.
Suggestions ?

Epoxy a better bet ?

Any suggestions and thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Tensile strength of epoxy is only about 10% that of metal. Solder is
not much better. I don't know about brazing but strength is higher.

I tossed a titanium pair bought from Zenni Optical that broke like that.
Had only paid $50 for them but if they were $350 that they would have
cost locally, I figure I might have got new frames.

No problem with other Zenni glasses but single bridge wire makes for a
weak link in high stress area.