Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles Muggles is offline

Default The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

On 8/19/2015 11:28 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 8/19/2015 9:01 AM, Muggles wrote:

I can't find fittings that'll work on the tension rods, so I'm adapting
to what I can find. Since I want the shelves to be mounted in between
the rods and accessible from both sides and I can't find shelves like
are in the photo, I'm creating them with what I can find.

The rods appear to be smooth (?) -- unlike the unit I referenced, above,
which has fixed locations where the shelves will engage the uprights.
How do you expect to hold the shelves from *sliding* down the rods?

I'll pre-drill holes and use sheet metal screws to attach the shelves
using those U clips, so each shelve will be held into play with screws,
and won't slide up or down the pole.

Ah, so the shelves aren't "adjustable" -- you are putting a screw through
the clamp *into* the upright; not just fastening the clamp to the
shelf and counting on friction/tight fit to keep the shelf from sliding
down the upright.

Correct. I didn't like the idea that it could slip, plus, I couldn't
find proper rubber gaskets to put on the outside of the upright so I
could use a common hose clamp. Hose clamps are a bit unattractive anyway.

[...]

You could wrap wire between the back edge of one shelf and that of
it's mate -- effectively "sew" the two shelves together.

I could do that, and I may end up doing that if I don't find something
else that works better.

There may be some sort of (nylon/vinyl) lacing cord. Sort of like
the stuff used to make lanyards on the "playground" in summer
("gymp"?)

I could also use white zip ties and cut them off close, but that may be
a last resort. I'm not sure how distracting they'd be to look at. I like
using zip ties for all sorts of things, but haven't made up my mind yet.

[...]
Getting the red glow and mimicking HAL's voice will be the next
issues...

Sounds nice!

"Different" -- why be "normal"? :

Exactly! I feel the same way.