Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

On 8/18/2015 10:17 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 8/18/2015 9:09 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 8/18/2015 8:53 AM, Muggles wrote:

None of those stores usually are on my shopping circuit on a regular
basis, but since I've been doing these shelf projects that I've wanted
to do for a long time, all 3 stores have been on my list quite a lot
lately.

Folks know me by name at our places! (I do a lot of work around the house)

I've been to Lowes 3 times in the last week and I'm beginning to find
myself ducking and hiding when I see the same worker there more than
once! LOL I'm going back tomorrow to get the rest of the hardware I
need to do the tension rod shelves.

I welcome the fact that folks know/recognize me. I don't have to "educate"
a "green" salesperson to my level of understanding on a subject; instead,
they know I will have already "checked the obvious" so any problem that
I present will be one that will be a challenge for them.

I'm on a mission that I've chosen to accept (just saw the new Mission
Impossible movie), and now I have to find the right hardware to put my
design together - some shelf clamps like this
(http://www.organizeit.com/images/wire-shelf-clips.jpg), some short
metal screws, and some rubber shelf caps.

Hmmm... I was thinking more along the lines of these shelves:
http://www.kingdametal.com/upload/wire-rack-storage.jpg
The uprights have grooves/rings in them and there is a cylindrical
fitting that grabs these rings to support each shelf. See the
inset in:
http://www.westernsafety.com/products/eagleMHC/eaglepg6-shoerack.jpg
the black band is the cylindrical plastic fitting; the grooves in the
uprights should be barely visible.

This is what I'm making a version of:
http://tomorrows-adventures.com/file...36-630x473.jpg

How about "baskets" hanging via chains?

I can't find fittings that'll work on the tension rods, so I'm adapting
to what I can find. Since I want the shelves to be mounted in between
the rods and accessible from both sides and I can't find shelves like
are in the photo, I'm creating them with what I can find.

The rods appear to be smooth (?) -- unlike the unit I referenced, above,
which has fixed locations where the shelves will engage the uprights.
How do you expect to hold the shelves from *sliding* down the rods?

I bought 2 tension poles, and 2 of these shelves:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/ClosetMai...8022/100146544.
I'm going to cut the tiers into 6 separate shelves, use end caps for
the cuts, put the individual shelves back to back and mount them with
sheet metal screws to the tension rods with the u clips.

But the shelves only "grip" the uprights with a friction fit?

I'll pre-drill
the screw holes to go all the way through to the opposite side and use
shorter screws so I can do the shelves directly opposite each other.
I'll end up with 3 floating shelves that I can access from both sides.
There'll be a small gap between the shelves that I can either leave it

You could wrap wire between the back edge of one shelf and that of
it's mate -- effectively "sew" the two shelves together.

as is or insert a straight rod and bolt it for support between the 2
rods, but I don't know if I'll really need that or not. I was thinking
of using flat composite crown molding, or just put shelf liner there,
but haven't really looked at all my options. That was just an idea from
looking at different materials that might work.

I almost gave up on the project, but after thinking about it some more I
decided to do one last search for the right items that I wanted to use
and finally found them.

I never "give up" -- I just shelve a project until the right idea or
parts become available.

E.g., I am presently looking for a (very) large lens to make a HAL9000
"terminal":
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2013/01/hal-9000-replica.jpg

I will use this in place of my front doorbell!

That's looks space age! lol

It's intended to be "unique". As it suggests, I'll mount a camera
in it (HAL's "eye") and use that to detect folks at the front door
(as well as let me *see* them).

Getting the red glow and mimicking HAL's voice will be the next issues...