Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default sharp can opener

On 8/18/15 8:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/18/2015 3:10 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 1:12:12 PM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
On Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 12:17:54 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

I've been using 2-handled hand can openers. The only thing better is
wall-can openers, and hand can openers have the advantage that you can
put a heavy can on the table and not worry that it will fall on the
floor if the wall can opener somehow loses its grip. .

We have a left hander in the family.

Canopeners are all but impossible to operate left handed.

So use your right hand. My wife and I are both lefties and have no
trouble turning the handle with the right hand. Been doing it for 60+
years now.

Lefties are smart enough to cope in a right handed world.

For the normal brain, the left hand works best for spatial tasks like
drawing and throwing. In archery, the left hand normally holds the bow
so the left hand can aim. With a rifle, pulling the trigger with the
right hand leaves the left hand free to aim.

Bigots designed cockpits for the right hand to hold the joystick. That's
why flying was so dangerous. NASA realized the shuttle had to be landed
right on the first try, so they put the joystick on the left. They
proved that northpaws could fly as well as southpaws if trained to use
their better hand. Modern airliners are flown with the left hand, making
air travel much safer than it was in the northpaw days.

The right hand is best for sequential instructions, like being told how
to make letters. I learned to write left because that's how I'd learned
to draw. In high school, sometimes I wrote right for fun. I gained
insight into the mindless world of right handers. It's like being
sedated with an obedience drug.

Both hands are best for snowball fights. Lead with your right. When the
ball is about 6 feet out, you can see how your opponent is dodging. The
spatial left hand calculates and throws a bigger, faster snowball. It
arrives almost simultaneously with the right-hand ball, knocking your
opponent flat. If you're ever on your own against 72 opponents in
Alaska, you'll win easily that way.

Most tasks would feel clumsy left-handed, but I'm ambidextrous with
tools. That so irked my mother that she told everybody I was
left-handed. At family gatherings, they would all seat me where there
was room to eat left-handed but not right-handed. I've never known how
to eat left-handed, but no matter how many times I told them, they
wouldn't listen. I wouldn't have room to eat until everyone else had
finished.