Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default sharp can opener

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 18 Aug 2015 15:20:20 -0400, J Burns
wrote:

On 8/18/15 12:23 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 18 Aug 2015 12:17:51 -0400, micky
wrote:

I like WD-40 for cleaning gunky can openers. It would hazardous to
inhale but is evidently harmless to ingest in trace amounts. I wonder if

And yes, harmless. First I doubt if 1/1000th of a gram total ever gets
to the food. The things lubed are the cutting wheel axle and the crank
axle. But say some gets ont the cutting wheel. Wipe it off, for gosh
sakes. And if you don't, most gets wiped off on the inside of the can,
Well, for the first rotation of the cutting wheel. After that it's
pretty clean. If you pour the food past that part of the can, much of
what's on the can gets wiped into the food. Let's assume it's spinach,
which is heavy and wipes the can pretty well. It's still not enough to
worry me. If I had a kid, I'd wipe the WD-40 off the cutting wheel.

My phrase "trace amounts" was sort of exaggerated. This is from the MSDS.

"Ingestion: This product has low oral toxicity. Swallowing may cause
gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. This product
is an aspiration hazard. If swallowed, can enter the lungs and may cause
chemical pneumonitis, severe lung damage and death."

As long as you don't drink enough for vomit to end up in your lungs, you
should be fine.

I think so too.

Once I told my brother, a board certified radiologist, that I had
inhaled some insulation off an electric wire, (I guess because I
stripped it with my teeth.). He said, Don't worry about it.