Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles Muggles is offline

Default Do I need treatment?

On 8/18/2015 10:46 AM, Don Y wrote:
Hi Maggie,

On 8/18/2015 8:26 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 8/18/2015 4:13 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 8/17/2015 10:34 PM, Muggles wrote:

I have an electronic sewing machine. Wonderful machine. Used it a lot.
I like to think outside the box... Look at things differently. Do
things
differently because I like 'possibilities' vs. the 'same'. One of my
favorite
things to do is to brain storm about the 'why not' or 'why can't it be
done' or
'figure it out' kind of stuff.

I prefer to ask "Why was it done *that* way, instead of some other
(possibly better) way?"

Another good question.

But there may be a genuine reason that isn't immediately apparent to
you! So, it's always worth thinking about "why"...

I get in trouble with some people for asking "why". They think I'm just
being a pain, but I really do want to know "why". If the "why" can't be
explained to me satisfactorily, then I know there's another way that's
even better.

One discussion I absolutely LOVE to participate in is Quantum Physics
and the age of the Earth/Universe and time. There are so many
possibilities to be thought about and discussed with a topic like that.
I also love talking about group dynamics because the "why" behind group
dynamics can be fascinating, but often those topics come to a screeching
halt because people who don't like to ask "why" just want to accept the
current mindset on everything and end up getting frustrated with people
who ask "why". BUT, I still love those discussions because they always
involve thinking outside the box.

Once that/those other reason(s) are clear, you can question if they
are still applicable in *your* circumstances. And, if not, what
freedoms that affords you in *your* solution.

I like to keep looking for solutions that seek out the cause and effect.
If the cause can be isolated, then the effect can be understood at
which point a better solution can be identified.

I've had people tell me over and over again that X or Y couldn't be
done, and my response was always "why not"? If we can think up
something that is useful then there's more than likely a way to make it
happen within the knowledge base that we currently have access to. If
it can't be done now, then possibly in the future. Keep looking until
we've either re-designed the idea to fit the desired end result, or
found a way to do what we need/want to do without any re-design.

The dishwasher, here, moves all the plumbing into the wall behind
the sink/dishwasher. Including the air gap. As a result, the
cabinet beneath the sink has no "extra pipes" to work around.

More space for storage, too.

Yes. In my case, I wanted to make a metal tray that would fit the
bottom of the cabinet to catch spills, leaks, etc. -- to preserve the
integrity of the (wood) cabinet. The hoses and pipes made that difficult.

Most people would have just given up instead of finding a solution and
doing something outside of the box to make it happen.

The shelves that I've always wanted in my bathroom are outside of the
box, but I am happy with what I've created thus far. They've taken an
ordinary bathroom and transformed it into something 3 dimensional to
look at (does that make sense?). Before it was ordinary. Now, there are
multiple viewpoints of interest all over the walls of the room. When
the light shines through the skylight, there are interesting shadows and
rays of sunlight at different times of the day that enhance the 3d
perspective of the room.

Awe... The examiner is missing the point. To see what someone else
tells you to see is what mindless drones can do, but to really SEE
is a gift.

I am lucky the examiner was flexible in this case. DMV
folks tend not to be known for their flexibility! There's
a reason the test is designed the way it is -- the applicant
is *supposed* to see ONE particular "number" in preference
to the others that are also hiding there.

Maybe the examiner couldn't see the other numbers?

I think she was just expecting *a* number for an answer
and cared not what the number meant -- "5" means pass the
applicant; any other number means impose a driving restriction.

I bet she brought up your answer to her superiors. "Did you know there's
more than one number people can see in that picture??" Because of your
answer, they may change something about the picture, so they'll get the
response they need.

If *your* job was to do this all day long, how much would
*you* invest in understanding "why"? I have a lot of compassion
for folks who've been pidgeonholed like this; why make their
jobs any harder/more tedious?

I dunno. I think there'd be an aspect of surprise and variety if a
person has a job like that, and for them to hear a new response from the
norm - it might make a difference in their day... make them think and
notice PEOPLE as an individual vs. part of the herd.

--
Maggie