Posted to alt.home.repair

Default sharp can opener

On 8/17/2015 12:23 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 07:45:07 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 8/16/2015 11:00 PM, J Burns wrote:

I like WD-40 for cleaning gunky can openers. It would hazardous to
inhale but is evidently harmless to ingest in trace amounts. I wonder if
it does any harm by driving out lubricant. Why don't can openers have
Zerk fittings!

Zerks would increase the consumer price.

BTW, spray can of white lithium grease
might do some good.

Is white lithium grease food grade quality?

Don't know. The stuff in stores probably does
not have federal certification. As for me, the
exposure to food is pretty much zero when used
on a Swing A Way can opener shaft and gears.
I'm not going to get worried about it.

You could use Pam or other cooking spray, but
that gets sticky in a day or two. Woman down
the street from me used cooking spray in the
key hole of her front door lock. It got all
gummy. I was privileged to take it apart, clean
it with solvent, and put it back together with
some thing more suited.

--
..
Christopher A. Young