Posted to alt.home.repair
songbird songbird is offline

Default Weed cloth under rubber mulch for swing set?

wrote:
I've cleared out about a 3" depth under and around a wood play set with a couple of swings and a slide. The play set is surrounded by on 2 sides by a cement patio and on the other sides by pavers. Going to put green rubber mulch under and around the play set up to the cement and pavers.

I've had people question whether I should use weed block cloth under the mulch. My thought is no because I'm afraid the cloth would get kicked up and I've have a major PITA pulling it all up. Others say it wall keep the mulch clean since it won't be touching dirt.

Any ideas?

as it is a play area i would put the weed barrier fabric
around the edges where there is light traffic, but would
not put it around places where the kids may cause gouges
as then the weed barrier fabric gets exposed and then gets
degraded by exposure to the sun.

yes, you will get dirt mixing in, but that's just what
kids do...

the other alternative would be to put the rubber mulch
down very thick in the high traffic areas so that the kids
don't get through it to the fabric.

personally, i'd think that stuff will stink, look ugly
and be very hot. if i were a kid i'd be finding someplace
else to play...

songbird