Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 17:05:28 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/16/2015 9:59 AM, ceg wrote:
On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 23:23:48 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

https://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-acci...nt/cell-phone/

cell-phone-statistics.html
"1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by
texting and driving."

Jeff, we know each other for years over the net, and I know you to be a
very data-based person.

Here's the paradox.

1. You and I believe that distracted driving can easily cause accidents.
2. Cellphone ownership has gone explosively up in the USA.
3. But, accidents have not.

That's the paradox.

A. We can *assume* that driving while using cellphones has gone up.
B. We can also *assume* that distracted driving is dangerous.
C. Unfortunately, distracted driving statistics are atrociously
inaccurate.

Yet, the paradox remains because actual accident statistics are
*extremely reliable*.

So, we really have two extremely reliable components of the paradox.
a. Cellphone ownership has been going explosively up in the USA,
b. All the while *accidents* have been going down.

Hence, the paradox.
Where are all the accidents?

What percentage of those accidents are phone related?
Accidents may be down, but take out cellphone related instances and they
may have gone down another 10% or 20%

And if everyone had DRL's accidents would be reduced another 30%. And
if everyone had ABS another 25%. And if everyone had drivers Ed,
another 10%. And if tire laws were more stringent we could reduce
accidents another 15% and if every state had mandatory inspections
another 10%. By the time we get done with all our "improvements" we
won't need to manufacture new cars, the accident rate will be negative
and new cars will be spontaneously popping out of the road.